The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012

Post by 180s on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 am

your mine though Very Happy

180s

Posts Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012

Post by Slashfan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:27 pm

PTK wrote:Slash does that.... The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 364988687

I do have a bad habit of doing that, don't I? haha. I never can tell if it makes a difference.

Please use the search function. Repetitive threads will not be tolerated. I will take action against you should you not follow the AUP and GTDrag's board rules. You will behave here, or I will summon you to the deepest depths of the interwebz forever. I'm serious.
Slashfan
Slashfan
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Posts Posts : 274
Location Location : Somewhere in Time

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:54 am

Slashfan wrote:
PTK wrote:Slash does that.... The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 364988687

I do have a bad habit of doing that, don't I? haha. I never can tell if it makes a difference.
Try it with a speed 12, you'll see a difference.

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Posts Posts : 443
Location Location : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Post by beastcochito on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Great guide slump! This has clarified alot of things that had me scratching my head for awhile.. Im a decent tuner but I think my weak spot is the suspension.. In the guide you stated:

• max. travel of a FC-suspension strut: 10cm (just an example);

• Stiff Springidle = 80% (=> by 20% compressed)

• Soft Springidle = 30% (=> by 70% compressed)

This had me scratching my head a bit.. before I continue I race on Indy.. To my understanding of the above info, if I have say a soft front (3.0) my compression should be set around 7? Another off-topic question.. is running a 50/50 weight balance better than running lets say 65/35 (65 on the driven tires of course)?
    beastcochito
    beastcochito

Posts Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by DLR on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:00 pm

beastcochito wrote: This had me scratching my head a bit.. before I continue I race on Indy.. To my understanding of the above info, if I have say a soft front (3.0) my compression should be set around 7? Another off-topic question.. is running a 50/50 weight balance better than running lets say 65/35 (65 on the driven tires of course)?

1) Front springs make minor, if even noticible differences.

2) Generally you should not add weight. There are exceptions but the rule if thumb is let em' spin Smile

3) Torque split, start off at 45/65. Then as cars get lower and lower HP, give more power to the rear wheels Thumbs Up

Hope that helped Thumbs Up

Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 436
    Location Location : Seattle

http://www.gtdrag.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beastcochito on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:22 pm

DLR wrote:
    beastcochito wrote: This had me scratching my head a bit.. before I continue I race on Indy.. To my understanding of the above info, if I have say a soft front (3.0) my compression should be set around 7? Another off-topic question.. is running a 50/50 weight balance better than running lets say 65/35 (65 on the driven tires of course)?

1) Front springs make minor, if even noticible differences.

2) Generally you should not add weight. There are exceptions but the rule if thumb is let em' spin The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 650269930

3) Torque split, start off at 45/65. Then as cars get lower and lower HP, give more power to the rear wheels The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 1927768590

Hope that helped The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 1927768590

Thnx for the reply! I should of clarified myself a bit better. The question I ask about the 50/50-65/35 wasnt about torque split, it was about weight balance.. Im also speaking of FWD cars.. I did some testing of myself while waiting for a reply and it seems that the 50/50 weight balance doesnt work too well.. Im also asking about clarification of the whole damper thing because I believe without a doubt that the suspension is the weak spot of my tunes..
    beastcochito
    beastcochito

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotary Junkie on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 am

Well, if you're running FWD...

You want as little weight as possible most of the time, though front ballast may be useful for the sake of a quicker launch. 65/35 is better than 50/50 on FWD, the more up front, the better.

In fact, weight balance is why the Scirocco from the DLC is absolute ass at Indy despite being baller status at SSR7.

Also, on FWD spring rates... I know someone will disagree with me here eventually but I've always supported using max/max spring rates to minimize suspension movement, and therefore rearward weight transfer.

Rotary Junkie
    Casual Dragster

Posts Posts : 43
    Location Location : Canton, MI

Back to top Go down

Post by beastcochito on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:41 am

Rotary Junkie wrote:Well, if you're running FWD...

You want as little weight as possible most of the time, though front ballast may be useful for the sake of a quicker launch. 65/35 is better than 50/50 on FWD, the more up front, the better.

In fact, weight balance is why the Scirocco from the DLC is absolute ass at Indy despite being baller status at SSR7.

Also, on FWD spring rates... I know someone will disagree with me here eventually but I've always supported using max/max spring rates to minimize suspension movement, and therefore rearward weight transfer.

Most FWDs run 60/40 WB I usually try to add as little weight as possible to try and get at least 65/35.. FWDs w/o weight wont hook Shocked Ive tried the max/max SRs and they didnt seem to work as good as min/max.. maybe Im adjusting dampers wrong?! what would be considered good for damper ext. & comp. on hard springs? The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 3804960369 I will attempt max/max SR's once again I guess. Thnx for the reply
    beastcochito
    beastcochito

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:06 am

beastcochito wrote:Great guide slump! This has clarified alot of things that had me scratching my head for awhile.. Im a decent tuner but I think my weak spot is the suspension.. In the guide you stated:
  • max. travel of a FC-suspension strut: 10cm (just an example);
  • Stiff Springidle = 80% (=> by 20% compressed)
    Soft Springidle = 30% (=> by 70% compressed)

This had me scratching my head a bit.. before I continue I race on Indy.. To my understanding of the above info, if I have say a soft front (3.0) my compression should be set around 7? Another off-topic question.. is running a 50/50 weight balance better than running lets say 65/35 (65 on the driven tires of course)?
  • Thx!
    The compression level has nothing to do with the dampers. If you lift a car, the struts would be fully extended, because there won't be any weight on them.
    But if a car is standing on its 4 wheels, then they will be compressed by a certain level, because they must hold up the cars weight then.

For weigth balance: Yes, you want as much of the cars weight on the driven wheels, but without having to add ballast, except some special cases.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by beastcochito on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Awesome! Thnx for the help slump The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 1927768590
    beastcochito
    beastcochito

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:26 pm

1 dislike? scratch
    Hmm, it would be great to know why, so that I can make it better.

Anyway, transmission chapter is on the way!

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Temetias. on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 pm

dr_slump wrote:1 dislike? scratch
    Hmm, it would be great to know why, so that I can make it better.

Anyway, transmission chapter is on the way!

Propably some wannabe pro worried about 'noobs' being able to tune. Laughing Or me accidentaly pressing the wrong button with my mobile. Facepalm
    Temetias.
    Temetias.
    Casual Dragster

Posts Posts : 41
    Location Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Nooooo!
    luckilymenotaphoneuser.....

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanger on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:32 pm

This is great! btw does anyone know if wheelies work online?

Shanger

Posts Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by DLR on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Shanger wrote:This is great! btw does anyone know if wheelies work online?

Some, like the samabus, but most don't.

Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 436
    Location Location : Seattle

http://www.gtdrag.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GuitarHack on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 pm

DLR wrote:
    Shanger wrote:This is great! btw does anyone know if wheelies work online?

Some, like the samabus, but most don't.

My 'cuda doesn't wheelie online and neither does my sambabus. Both do fairly good wheelies offline.

GuitarHack

Posts Posts : 9
    Location Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 am

Sambabus can do a quick wheelie, but the best is that it can drive endless on two wheels. The Drag Tuning Bible -- v4 - July 2012 - Page 2 277638789

(online)

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by npate95 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm

OKAY
    npate95
    npate95
    N00B Dragster

Posts Posts : 20
    Location Location : Lafayette, Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Post by npate95 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 pm

can you please make an update to this for route x?
    npate95
    npate95
    N00B Dragster

Posts Posts : 20
    Location Location : Lafayette, Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:56 am

Yeah, I'll update it soon.

Not sure if it will be this week.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:22 pm

BIG UPDATE!!! Very Happy
    - Fixed as many false/outdated informations as possible
    - added a few things (mainly to the existing points)
    - rewrote a couple things

This is only a prestep of the final Route X update, I'm planning to add some new things.

----------------

Btw, I'm really curious why that many dislike this thread (OP).
    If it's the content then I'd greatly appreciate a short (or long if you want) feedback. Would be nice!

Or maybe this: (?)
    Spoiler:
    If it's just because you don't want to see tuning guides because you fear that some noobs could become good....... Wave Finger simple as that.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sniped4good on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 pm

hi guys

sniped4good
    BANNED
    BANNED

Posts Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:13 am

UPDATE TO V4

As you can see, I updated the whole drag bible. I want to show you what exactly I changed and how important each changes are.

Crucial changes (reread)
    • Suspension
        Many corrections and updates. Rewrote big parts of it. Also added a bunch of tips for "Aero tunes".

• Aerodynamics
        Especially for the 3k guys (and other long distances), but also many general fixes.

• Weight Transfer
        Relatively big change, added some stuff. Mainly for the 1/4, 1k, 1mile guys.

Minor Changes
    • Transmission
        Replaced the additional info for 1/4mile tuners and also added a little to it.

• Differential
        Better description; a few fixes

• Distances
        Rewrote some parts for better understanding.

NEW STUFF
    • Cheats & Tricks
        Added informations about the most common tricks and cheats in GT5 drag racing.

Layout
    • Other text colours
    • New font

Please let me know if you like the new design or not.

This is pretty much it.
    I know, I haven't posted the Analysis, Powerband & Shiftpoint part yet, but it's still in my mind. If I forgot anything else, tell me what.

Thanks! Smile

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_slump on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:15 am

Found under Spring Rates:

*********************************************************************************************************************************************
    *********************************************************************************************************************************************
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************* (EDIT: ups! the text got somehow lost.... I'll add it as soon as I found it on my computer.)
    O_o

Ehh, I'm confused! I definitely wrote this part..... but probably forgot to insert it. Laughing And know I can't find it on my computer (bad idea to have hundreds of text documents with random names in the same folder :indiff: ).

Puh...... annoying.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2