Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BMW i8 Spyder revealed

3 posters

Go down

BMW i8 Spyder revealed Empty BMW i8 Spyder revealed

Post by DLR Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:17 pm

BMW i8 Spyder revealed Large%20Image

i8 Spyder. Not the sound of a Wurzel expressing hatred for an arachnid, but BMW's roofless, two-seat hybrid concept.

It'll be unveiled at this year's Beijing auto show later this month and is, as you'd imagine, a pretty good sign that Munich's going to give us a drop-top to join the i8 coupe. For those hard of memory, that's the 155mph, 100mpg sportster due to land in showrooms come 2014.

The i8 Spyder concept is a little stinted compared to its coupe brother, though. Under the two-section folding roof it's slightly shorter and there's a more compact wheelbase, suggesting its original proportions - based on the splendid Vision EffecientDynamics supercar of 2009 - have been rethunk.

BMW has kept the swan doors, which swivel up like the wings of a, umm, swan... They're retained thanks to the amount of carbon that's used in the i8's super-stiff passenger ‘Life' cell, which is made from carbonfibre reinforced plastic (CFRP).

Underneath, there's an aluminium chassis with a lithium-ion battery buttered along its length, keeping the centre of gravity nice and low and achieving a 50:50 weight distribution. It's got the same plug-in powertrain as the coupe, too; a petro-electro melange of 129bhp electric motor driving the front wheels and three-cylinder turbo petrol engine sending 220bhp to the rears (that's 349bhp in all).

All together, it makes 406lb ft of torque, which gets it from 0-62mph in 5.0 seconds and a tethered top speed of 155mph. And it's claimed it can do 20 miles of FWD on the battery alone.

Unlike the 100mpg coupe, the convertible only claims a piffling 94mpg, but charge time on a domestic socket is impressive; BMW says it would be "less than two hours". It'll do 19 miles on EV power alone, and the batteries are charged up when you coast, cruise and stop.

There are, as you'd imagine, some spurious concepty add-ons. Also included are a pair of electric scooters housed under a transparent tailgate, a camera-based proactive collision warning feature, and the interior can be pre-warmed on a cold morning so it's all toasty and warm when you go to drive it.
DLR
DLR
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 436
Location Location : Seattle

http://www.gtdrag.com

Back to top Go down

BMW i8 Spyder revealed Empty Re: BMW i8 Spyder revealed

Post by elizabethB Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:48 am

There has been a lot of buzz about the BMW i8. The i8, a gorgeous sports vehicle and plug-in hybrid, has been the darling of the automotive press since its introduction. Whether you are looking to purchase are new or used BMW, you're sure to get a vehicle of great value.

elizabethB

Posts Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by swara96 Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am

elizabethB wrote:There has been a lot of buzz about the BMW i8. The i8, a gorgeous sports vehicle and plug-in hybrid, has been the darling of the automotive press since its introduction. Whether you are looking to purchase are new or used BMW, you're sure to get a vehicle of great value.

Yeah my mom has a 2008 BMW 328i E90 and we love it Smile

It has a cold air intake, and it's Alpine White Very Happy
swara96
swara96
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Posts Posts : 104
Location Location : Durham, North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content